Monday, October 1, 2012

Visit to Shell Rock, Waterloo, and Cedar Falls

This past Saturday and Sunday I was with Rev. Mike Knox at the three congregations he serves: Peace Lutheran in Shell Rock, Christ Lutheran in Waterloo, and Our Redeemer Lutheran in Cedar Falls.  Several things made these visits a little different from others.  First, this is thus far the only time I've been at three different congregations in one weekend.  Second, we celebrated the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels; any day that the devil is sent away with his head hanging and his tail between his legs is a good day.  And third, Rev. Dean Rothchild was also present for the two presentations on St. Silas, one at Peace and the other at Our Redeemer.  Rev. Rothchild has been meeting with members of the LCMS in Iowa District East who are interested in helping to fund St. Silas by contributing to the "Proclaiming Christ Jesus" campaign.  Because of these individuals, as well as the support of entire congregations, the capital campaign is currently at over $77,000 in donations and pledges.  And that's after only four months!  The goal is to raise $600,000 for this campaign.  If $600,000 is raised and St. Silas ends up needing all $600,000, then everything will be covered.  If more is raised or if St. Silas becomes self-sustaining before the $600,000 mark is reached, then there will be left over funds designated to other new mission starts in IDE.  Either way St. Silas is funded, but my hope is that funds will be left over for other church plants.  Perhaps some day St. Silas will be a mother, at which point St. Paul's Lutheran Chapel will receive a card that says "Congratulations, Grandma!"  If you are interested in contributing to the "Proclaiming Christ Jesus" campaign, click here.

At Peace Lutheran in Shell Rock on Saturday evening I preached during the service and then presented on St. Silas afterward during the Bible class time.  During the presentation a lunch was served.  Even though Bible class doesn't end until around 9:00pm, most of the congregation still stuck around.


The following morning I preached again at Christ Lutheran in Waterloo.  Even though we had to hurry to Our Redeemer, there was still a little time to talk to the congregation about St. Silas.  I preached again at Our Redeemer in Cedar Falls and presented after service.  There was once more a considerable turn out.  Rev. Rothchild and I exchanged frank opinions of each other, for example after service: [me] "The last time Iowa District East planted a congregation I was still in diapers. [to Rev. Rothchild] And you were already gray."  And again during the presentation: [me] "I only set up a Facebook account because I have to.  I would prefer to live in the Stone Age."  [Rev. Rothchild] "You say you'd rather live in the Stone Age, but you are a techie geek."  This sort of brutal honesty not only makes for good team-building, but is also highly amusing for those listening.


Thank you for having me to proclaim Jesus Christ and him crucified.  I was delighted for the opportunity to celebrate the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels, hearing a reading from the book of Revelation and singing "Lord God, to Thee We Give All Praise" and "Christ, the Lord of Hosts, Unshaken" (which is definitely among my top 5 favorite hymns).  I enjoyed feasting on Christ's body and blood with you.  I appreciate your hospitality and eagerness to hear more about St. Silas.  Please continue to remember me in your prayers.

In Christ

Pastor Andrew Richard

St. Silas Lutheran Church
www.stsilaslutheran.org
www.facebook.com/stsilaslutheran
stsilaslutheran@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment